Types of permits and scope
CEMT permits are not valid
• on internal traffic in a CEMT Member State
• for transports between a Member State of the CEMT and a non-member State
When should the community licence be used?
• for transports between EEA countries
• for transports between EU countries and Switzerland
When is the CEMT approval particularly important?
• for transports between EEA countries by third country entrepreneurs
• for transports between Switzerland and a third country
• for transports between third countries as members of the CEMT among themselves
EEA countries: all EU countries plus Norway, Liechtenstein, Iceland
Third country: neither EEA country nor Switzerland.
There is a trade agreement between the United Kingdom and the EU, which regulates, among other things, the use of the Community licence or British licence and the possibilities for cabotage.
There are CEMT permits
• as annual and short-term permits
• for relocation traffic as a CEMT relocation permit
CEMT annual permits are generally only issued in Germany for vehicles with at least the “EURO IV safe” standard of the CEMT.
See the CEMT Issue Policy at the bottom of the page under “More Information and Downloads”.
Companies with registered office in Germany are eligible to apply.
Most transports to third countries are also possible with bilateral permits. This applies in particular to the start or end in Germany.
Federal Office for Goods Transport, Berlin Permit issuing office for north-eastern and eastern European countries
Government of Oberpfalz in Regensburg for Southeast European countries
If there are no bilateral permits, you can apply for CEMT short-term permits at the Federal Office for Goods Transport, Berlin Permit issuing office.
You use the following form for this: Application for CEMT short-term permit(s)
These permits are generally intended for transports between two CEMT Member States without any other bilateral permit quotas. This applies in particular to transports in three-country traffic without passing through Germany. The need to use this type of approval must be credibly demonstrated in the application and, if possible, documented by means of documents.
CEMT annual permits are generally only issued in a public tender for the following year:
- Application forms are to be applied for in September of the previous year at the responsible branch office of the Federal Office for Goods Transport
- They are to be filled out and submitted in full by 1 October of the previous year at the latest
CEMT annual permits are only possible in the current year in well-founded special cases within the framework of a remaining contingent. These must be requested in writing from the Federal Office for Goods Transport, Berlin Permit issuing office, using the application form “Application for CEMT authorisation(s) during the year”.
In the case of relocation traffic, you can apply for CEMT relocation permits at any time at the Federal Office for Goods Transport, Berlin Permit issuing office, using the following application form, “Application for the issuance of CEMT relocation permit(s)”.
All applications must contain copies of these documents:
- Copy of the community licence/permit for road freight transport
- Copy of the last business registration or business re-registration
- Copy of the complete extract from the commercial register (if listed in the commercial register)
- For entries in the “Legal relationships” column, capital shares of other companies: also attach an extract from the commercial register for these companies
- As far as required: Justification of the application and supporting documents
- Additional documents may still be requested when processing the application.
You can find more information in the downloads at the bottom of the page and in the FAQ for road freight transport.